Monday, September 28, 2009

Belligerent Buttons

I think that the makers of some childrens clothes should be smacked with a wet lasagna noodle. Enough to make the point, but not enough to really hurt or cause damage.

This morning, I watched AGAIN as my two boys attempted to button their shorts before school. they are at the age when they really don't want any help, but need just a little. If I try to step in and do any of it, they turn away and get defiant about doing it themselves.

However, these particular shorts, both of the same brand, have a button-hole that is just barely bigger than the button that must pass through it. I'll be the first to admit thay my children are highly gifted and advanced in their fine motor skills (don't all parents say that?), but even I think this particular button is difficult. I even spent a few minutes cutting the hole bigger last night before laying the clothes out for the boys!

Basically, what ends up happening is that I see the boys having trouble, and they OBVIOUSLY need a little bit of help. So I try delicately to reach in, only to get pushed away or fussed out for helping. I try to reason with them about how much they really need the help, only to get shot down again. Finally, because I do eventually want to get them out of the room, I force my help on them, and just button the stinking shorts myself. Not necessarily my finest hour as a daddy, but I didn't yell or hit them, just upset them a bit.

Look out! It's a spiritual application on the way!

Ever notice how people just need help, but don't seem to know it? Maybe they are depressed or down or just seem to have no focus or direction. What about the ones that would really benefit from understanding that there is a God who loves them just the way they are, and wants to come and begin the process of bringing healing and peace to their life?

We know these people, and we see them around us, and as much as it frustrates us that they won't just open up to God's love, it's not like that button. We simply can NOT force this issue. We just stand by, patiently waiting, letting them know we're there to offer some help, and when they are finally open to it, we step in and bring God's love with us.

It's not always a guaranteed fix. Some people still reject the help we offer, even when they've invited our help. That is just the way it goes. But, we pray for them, and we wait patiently. Just like my boys who will eventually quit having trouble with those crazy buttons, some people will finally just quit fighting and learn how to give it over to God and to allow His love into their lives.

Meanwhile, I'm considering a petition to all children's clothiers to just put snaps on the pants and shorts of any size that any child under 8 years old would wear. I think it would just be easier and quicker. Probably won't work, but who knows?

No comments: