Monday, October 19, 2009

New New Orleans Saints?


I’m not what you would call a “huge” football fan. In fact, I’m not even a big fan. Truthfully, I enjoy watching a good game, and I’ve been known to get pulled into one emotionally with shouting and clapping here and there, but I usually prefer to watch a movie or do something out with my family instead of watching football. Even though I didn’t see it with my own eyes, something about NFL football recently caught my attention, and made it into my conscience enough to end up here.

Yesterday, The New Orleans Saints defeated the New York Giants in the Superdome. Just to shed a little light on the history—the Saints have NEVER played in a Superbowl. The Giants have won 3 of them, and played in 4 (if my math is correct). I know that history doesn’t necessarily have to dictate the present or the future, but it sure does shape the expectations of the spectators.

I grew up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, about an hour and a half from New Orleans. I remember enough about our State to know that most people pulled for the LSU Tigers in College Football, and tolerated the New Orleans Saints for NFL. In fact, there were many references to the “New Orleans Ain’ts” as a slam against the team for repeatedly doing so poorly. One grocery store chain did a short promotional gimmick where they printed marks to cut out eye-holes in their paper bags so that people who wanted to go watch the Saints play wouldn’t have to be embarrassed about being seen at the game. (People were actually put on national TV wearing such bags!)

The truth is, the history of the team does make it hard for those that have followed them to expect great things from them. However, with a 5-0 winning record so far, surely there are fans who are getting excited that this could be the year!

There is a parallel that runs in the way we view others, and even ourselves. We tend to let history continue to shape our expectations. Many times, the things people used to do, or have done in the past cause us to expect less or distrust them in the present. It’s not always unwarranted, and certainly should be a reason for caution, but I can’t believe that we should etch in marble and granite one’s character and personality based on past mistakes.

The writer of Hebrews tells us to “…throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles us, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” (Hebrews 12:1) This seems to imply that we can be freed from the mistakes of the past, and do not have to be shackled to the reputations and expectations that come with those sins. Paul says that “…if anyone is in Christ, He is a new creation. The old has gone, and the new has come.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)

If we can get rid of the old, can’t others? And if so, shouldn’t our old expectations also be discarded and a new slate of opportunity laid before those that are allowing the Holy Spirit to heal, re-shape, and change them? It seems to me that we need to be willing to do that for others. I know I’d want the same chance to prove myself as a new creation.

Who knows what the Saints will do for this year. In the grand scheme of things, it’s still just a game that men get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play. But, for those that enjoy watching, it’s a great chance to give an old team a new opportunity to succeed. It will be interesting to see what happens when these Saints go marching in to play!

No comments: