Monday, November 2, 2009

Electing To Rant

I am completely bored…no…fed up with election season. It doesn’t take much. I can’t flip a channel or open the mailbox without having to see some sort of election propaganda! What’s worse is that you can’t change your channel or throw away the paper without getting the mud on your hands. It seems that all the candidates do nowadays is just tell you how horrible their opponents are.

I’m not sure I can determine what any of these candidates really stand for or support. I’m sure with a lot of digging, small cases could be made for some of them, but what really comes across is this message: “You should vote for me, not for who I am, but because of who I am NOT, and I am not this horrible person that will ruin your life!”

I wonder how anyone can even trust politicians, and yet when you watch the news, which also constantly deals with the elections, you see hundreds and sometimes thousands of people getting fired up and cheering for these guys (and gals) more than they would cheer for their favorite team at a football game. There are people who not only trust politicians, but put their whole trust and faith in them to bring about the “better life” they are sure exists out there somewhere.

Our Pastor told us in staff meeting recently that if people are dissatisfied enough with what’s going on, then they will be motivated to make a change. This makes me wonder what I should or could be doing to change a system that just regularly ticks me off. I have no desire to enter the public arena, so running for office myself is not in the question. I’m sure these guys get letters all the time asking them to change their tactics, so I can’t believe that a letter would have much of an impact. Off the top of my head, I’m left with the option of just turning off the TV and throwing away the flyers.
My wife asked me how I would run a campaign of integrity in this day where attacks seem to be the way to go. I truly don’t even know. It’s an area I admittedly don’t explore very often because it makes me cringe. But, in order to try and offer a positive instead of always griping about it, I guess there are a few key suggestions that I would make to anyone considering public office one day:

1. Live each day like you are constantly in the public eye. If you are always on your guard and doing the things that keep you above reproach that no one can use against you, then it will be hard for anyone to attack you.

2. Take responsibility for your actions. Part of the problem is that too many people are passing the buck and making excuses. We are all human, and even in an attempt to get it right, we might stumble. I tend to believe people will forgive an honest mistake for which you’ve taken responsibility sooner than they would be fooled into buying into an excuse.

3. Rise above the negative comments. If people toss out unfair and untrue attacks against you, avoid the temptation to do the same, and either politely decline to comment on these items, or equally as politely remind others of the truth—and if necessary with proof or evidence, while still refusing to insult or poke at those who originated the attacks.

4. Welcome honest constructive criticism from those you trust. If you have people who share your values that serve as your “sounding board” and advisors, then be ready to seriously entertain their suggestions, even if you don’t agree right away.

5. Remember whose you are, and whom you represent. If you are truly to be a civil servant “Of the people,” then you should take into consideration ALL of their circumstances and truly attempt to meet as many real needs as possible. Sometimes doing the BEST you know to do isn’t the same as doing the popular thing to do, but if you truly serve the people, you’ll look out for their best interests as long as they let you, no matter the outcome.

Oddly, as I look at these things, I see strong similarities to what I would consider a life that Christians should strive to live. If you adjust the first point to read “live each day remembering that you are in God’s and the public eye,” it challenges us to remember that we never know who sees us “letting our light shine before men,” or “hiding it under a basket.” We must live every moment pointing towards God.

The other adjustment would simply be to clarify statement #5. I know that I am God’s child, and as a follower, I represent Jesus Christ with every moment of the day, no matter where I am and whose company I keep. As The One who gives me salvation, He is the only one that matters, and if I make living as close to His standard as possible, then I will be less likely to step into any huge scandals, or do things that bring embarrassment and shame.

Not everyone will agree with me on this, and I’m okay with that. (See #3 above.) I just don’t feel right complaining or venting my feelings about the scarcity of positive campaign ads on TV unless I’m willing to offer my ideas on how to make adjustments. These are my humble opinions, and as per #2, I am willing to take responsibility. In other words, “My name is Cody, and I sponsored this blog.”

No comments: