Monday, March 29, 2010

Guitar Journey

I love playing guitar. I’m not one of those guys who can sit for hours and hours every day and play and learn every famous lick and riff that has ever been on the radio, but mostly because I have other responsibilities, and the time in my life for that has passed.
However, it is still an activity that can bring about great relief and relaxation. (Especially if I had that PRS shown here...) If I am having a particularly stressful week, it’s nice to just be able to plug in my electric guitar, crank up the distortion and the volume, and go to town. Usually I play all 2 songs I know several times each. Then, I pretend that I know what I’m doing and try to make up some other stuff that entertains me. If you ever sat in on one of these little “personal jam sessions” then you probably wouldn’t be terribly impressed with my skills, and I’m okay with that.

The other day, I finally decided to sit down and learn the opening to a song I’ve liked since high school. It has always sounded so very impressive to me, and has fascinated me to no end. A few years ago on a clearance rack, I even discovered a guitar tablature book with this song in it, and bought it so I could learn this little part.

Finally, during my lunch break the other day, I pulled out the book and opened up the music. It looks really impressive on a page, because it’s a pattern of sweeping sixteenth notes that jump all over the neck of the guitar. I was immediately intimidated and started second-guessing myself. BUT, I can be stubborn at times, and I was determined to figure this out. After spending a few minutes kind of looking at what I was doing, I realized that it could be broken down and practiced a bit at a time. What it boils down to is a grand total of 2 measures of music, repeated 3 times. 32 notes in each run, for a grand total of 93 played notes. No, my math isn’t wrong—the final run varies and drops three of the notes.

After taking it nice and slow, I finally got my mind wrapped around where my fingers were supposed to land each time, and after only 15 minutes, I was able to move my hands to the right locations for every note. After a half-hour, I could play it from memory at half-speed. By no means is it as clean and pretty as on the CD, but I was happy with my progress, and look forward to getting better at it so as to not sound so lame the next time I go to Guitar Center and sample a floor model guitar.

One of the reasons I love guitar so much is that no matter how much I learn, there’s still more out there. Even if I were to become a Virtuoso at the thing, there would still be much to explore. I could practice and become so proficient as to be able to fill-in with a Jazz band, play a classical guitar concerto, or rock to loudest metal you’ve ever heard, but there would still be things I could learn to take my skill further and further.

Life as a Christian is similar, and obviously different. With a guitar, I feel like there’s no “Final Destination.” However, as a follower of Christ, I know where I’m going to be for eternity, and I am excited about that! The journey is what makes the two similar. I have been in church my whole life, and have been a believer for most of it. I guarantee there’s still SO much to learn; Not only intellectually, but in application, as well. Things I have heard since I was three may take on new meaning in my thirties. Lessons I learned when I was ten may not grab me until one day when I’m a grandfather. When I continue to open my heart to what God’s Word says, and stay willing to learn, I will go further and further in my understanding, which will unlock new mysteries and spark new interest in the things of God.

Like the versatile guitarist playing different styles of music, a Christian who continues growing and learning will find application in different areas of ministry, and will find new ways to put into practice the understanding and knowledge they have attained, and while listeners can be delighted at the sounds, God can be pleased with the music of our service to Him.

I’ll never be a Peter, Timothy, or Apostle Paul any more than I’ll be a Joe Satriani, Mark Tremonti, or Les Paul. But the truth is…I just need to be me. God will shape me into a unique instrument that makes music for His glory and to further His kingdom. Then, if by chance anyone should ever sit down and try to learn what I’ve done, my prayer is that they’ll simply be learning to let the Virtuoso Creator make His music through them as well.

1 comment:

RAJ said...

And I thought my 6 guitars was bad...Now I feel better!