Monday, May 9, 2011

Music for the Soul?

Like many people, I really enjoy listening to music in the car. I’m not a big fan of the radio, because I don’t get many chances to just sit and listen, so when I do, I almost always want something in particular instead of playing radio song roulette. This past weekend, I just found myself really wanting to listen to a particular song by one of my favorite bands. The song is “Lay My Burdens” and it is from the band “Disciple.” (Found on the Southern Hospitality CD.)


For those that don’t know, Disciple is a Christian Rock band that leans a little bit to the heavy and hard rock side. However, this one song has a very distinct old-time Gospel blues bent to it while keeping the edge that this band is known for. Many folks would be turned off by the sound of the music before they ever listened to the lyrics. However, I think they’d be making a mistake. After first really listening to this band several years ago, I have remained impressed with the impact that scripture makes on their songs.


If you were to pick up one of their CD’s and read through the lyrics printed on the inside, you would see at least one scripture reference for every song written, and in most cases more like four or five different passages that inspire their songs. “Lay My Burdens” is no different.


I have been going through some “rocky terrain” in my spiritual walk as I struggle to make the right choices as a dad. (Children are draining on many levels if you take parenting very seriously, and spiritual is just one of them.) Feeling like I was just holding on too tight to some control issues, a small section of the chorus of this song came to my mind. I’m not one to remember song lyrics very well, so I pulled up the song on my mp3 player and listened. As soon as it was over, I backed it up and listened again.


I’m looking to lay my burdens down

They’re something I can’t carry anymore (Matthew 11:28)

I’m longing to lay my body down

Beside still waters and find rest for my soul (Psalm 23:2-3)


How many of us carry around unnecessary burdens that we could simply lay at the feet of Jesus and find the rest that He promises? The still waters that are referenced from Psalm 23 represent the peaceful state of being that we can have if we only let God work on our behalf. Too many times I try to do things on my own. I work in my own power to overcome the obstacles and struggles in my life, and don’t allow the power of the Holy Spirit within me to do what He does to quiet the chaos in my spirit and to guide me through the trials.


When I revert back to trying to do things on my own, I’m re-living a time in my life when I didn’t have the Holy Spirit, which was before I came to Christ, which scripture calls the time that I was dead in my sins. Why would I return to a state of death, when I am more alive in Christ than I ever was before?


What once was dead has now come alive (Ephesians 2:1-5)


It’s alot easier to say all of this than to do it, I realize that. Trust me, I’ve kicked myself over and over again for being able to say the words, but finding no will power or strength to simply do it. Is it Pride? Is it just plain stubbornness? Whatever it is, I definitely find myself relating to the lyrics of this song. I DO want to lay down these burdens, and I am longing to find myself in the place where God’s peace is my own, and I allow Him to do in me what He has promised to do, and will do once I get out of the way.


If you’ve ever felt like you were carrying extra burdens, then I encourage you to listen to the song. I don’t put my hope in man-made lyrics, but sometimes God gets our attention through imperfect messengers to point us to the perfect hope found in Him.


No comments: