Monday, May 11, 2009

What Was I Thinking?


The old saying goes, "O Ye of little faith..." Well, I was "Ye" on Friday. In preparations for our annual Pancake Dinner and Silent Auction, we ask the Sunday School classes and Ministry groups of the church to create and donate "theme baskets" that we can use as the items for bid in the auction itself. I was struggling because we had what appeared to be less participation than in years past. However, we also had a few baskets that exceed what I call the "creativity quotient" of the past, as well.

So, what I had was an option to see the positive side of things and be excited for the new creativity and the buzz of excitement that was coming from several of the groups and individuals that participated, or I could simply look at numbers on a page and get worried that our efforts to raise funds would fall short of previous years.

I must admit sheepishly that even though I tried to keep it positive, I ended up on the numbers side of things more than I wish I had. Before we got started, I was already convinced that we were not going to do as well as we have in the past.

This is the point in the writing in which sound effects and bright lights would be good. Here's where I freely put these words out there of my own accord: I WAS WRONG! In spite of what looked like fewer baskets on the tables, people showed up, made generous donations, and exceeded not only my expectations, but numbers from the past years. In fact, the numbers are not even important. I heard so many positives about the atmosphere and the fellowship and the fun among all those that participated, that regardless of how we did financially, the night was a success.

So, for anyone that might have detected or suffered from my attitude, I apologize. I usually tell others to remain positive and avoid thinking negatively, and here I was doing the same. My only hope is that in this public apology I can offer another lesson: Be humble and admit when you're wrong.

This mistake has given me a "refresher" course on faith and how God is bigger than the odds. When we simply rely on the worldly things and the circumstances of life apart from God, then yes, we will be inclined to be disappointed and see only the negatives. BUT, if you draw on the hope and faith that comes from God, and put all your expectations on Him, then you will have a hard time being disappointed, because God will work to bless your heart and touch your life in any and all situations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Cody...your honesty is very refreshing. By reading your experiences it helps me personally to be positive as I try to serve our Lord.