Monday, February 7, 2011

Update Your Frustration

Last week, I successfully got a virus on a computer that was supposed to be protected by anti-virus software. That’s me--doing the supposedly impossible. As it turns out, it ended up being a relatively harmless event. Coincidentally, my fellow office staff and I had been recently encouraged to switch to a different anti-virus software, so I used this occasion to do just that. I “upgraded” from a free program to a paid one.


I ran through all of the steps that were required, and when it was all said and done, the new stuff was installed. I also had a new CD that I wanted to put on my mp3 player, so I ripped it, and then plugged in my player. Enter new trouble. The player is no longer recognized by my computer. It made the “new hardware” noise when I would plug it in, but never did anything else.


To keep this from becoming a long technical story, what basically happened is that I rolled back some software, only to discover that it still didn’t work, and then I really just wanted the newer version back, but when I tried to to that, the computer gave me the message that my computer couldn’t handle it. Funny thing is, I’ve been using the newer version for over a year already, and one little “fix” messed it all up.


Now, I’ve got a computer that won’t work with my player, an old program that I don’t like, and a temperamental computer. (Fortunately, it has become my secondary computer and not the main source for work.)


This got me thinking. I know, scary. We live in a world that is constantly selling the “upgrade.” There are so many “new” products out there that are supposed to be the top of the line, and the best model yet. My BlackBerry, which is supposed to be a leader in smart-phone technology, was brand new at the time I got it, and supposed to be ahead of the curve--maybe that’s why it was called “curve.” Either way, there have been a few issues with it, and as it turns out, I don’t think it’s even manufactured anymore. Oddly, in spite of my other issues, I opted to do an “upgrade” on my BlackBerry software last week. The good news is that BrickBreaker runs smoother. The bad news is that now my phone gives me funny messages about registering on the network and there’s no telling where my facebook app went.


One of the hyped up Superbowl ads featured Ozzy Osbourne and Justin Beiber, and it was introducing a new program at Best Buy where you can pay a fee, and Best Buy will purchase your old model of something once the new model comes in and makes it obsolete. It was an ad basically admitting that they were always just trying to get us to step up and buy the “bigger and better” model. Not sure I like that idea. It doesn’t instill great confidence in my current products.


ANYWAY, here’s my point. We are always trying to upgrade to keep up with the newest, hottest “whatever.” It’s a dangerous idea because it really creates an atmosphere of temporary. Don’t like something? It’s okay--it’s not gonna be around for long. Impatient with something? Trade it in for a newer, better one. Tired of waiting 15 seconds for a video to download? Upgrade and only wait 10 seconds--It’s WAY better!


I am one who believes that this world is NOT my permanent home. But, it is the place where I learned about and entered into the Relationship that reserved my spot in my eternal home. My relationship with Christ is permanent, and it is already the biggest and best relationship I’ve got. The problem I have is that too many people see a relationship with Jesus as just another religion, and the world tells them that if one religion doesn’t fit their ideas or tastes or happens to be “old fashioned,” then they should just trade it in for one that they like better.


Where’s the commitment? What kind of faith is anyone developing anywhere? Faith implies a commitment to believe in something, even if there are doubts or concerns. Just because the electricity goes out in a storm doesn’t mean I will quit using my lamps to provide light. Jumping our faith back and forth isn’t really faith at all. Going for the newest and most popular just represents a need to please the “SELF” that we all have, and that some of us really try to fight.


I guess my point in all of this is that I hope that as a Follower of Christ, I can set a positive example about staying put in what I already believe to the best relationship ever, that never needs an upgrade or download. When I became that “New creation” that 2 Corinthians 5:17 speaks of, it was the only upgrade I’ll ever need. I certainly need to plug in to God’s Word to make sure my Operating System doesn’t get corrupted by the viral sins of this world, and the Holy Spirit inside of me will help me to process and execute the commands of my Savior. But, I’ll never have the need to try and find something else, because I already have the 3G that I’ll need: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit. (Okay, it was a bit cheesy--but clever enough to stick!)


No comments: