Monday, February 28, 2011

Wave to me

Inevitably, when you drive anywhere, you are going to have to rely on “the kindness of strangers” to let you into different lanes, to merge with traffic, or some other situation. The other day I had my older sons in the car with me, and someone let me merge in front of them. I did my customary wave to say thank-you, and then noticed that my boys had both turned around and were wildly waving at the car behind us as well. I guess that’s a good thing. I hope it wasn’t distracting...


I never thought anything about it--it was the way my parents taught me, if someone does something nice for you while driving, you acknowledge it with a wave. Apparently others were taught the same, because there have been many times when others have waved at me when I let them in, and it’s always a nice little thing that helps me not assume all of humanity is evil.


However, the past few weeks, I have continued to let people merge, and the little waves are gone. No longer do people acknowledge that I didn’t have to slow down and make sure they got to join ongoing traffic. I thought maybe it was just me, but the same knuckleheads in the backseat that have been waving more than the ocean said something about it. “Dad, why doesn’t anyone wave anymore to say thank you when you let them in?”


I didn’t know what to say. I just told them that maybe they did wave and we just didn’t see it. I hope that’s the case, but I have also noticed that the little acknowledgements are gone when I let a person with a shopping cart go ahead as I hold traffic in the grocery store parking lot, or when I hold the door at the post office for the mother with a stroller and two other small kids. (Maybe it was because she was also talking on her cell phone...but don’t get me started on that.)


What I really hope isn’t happening is that we as people are moving more and more away from basic manners and decency. Maybe it’s just that everyone is ill right now with all of these weather changes. Whatever it is, I am really praying that it is a temporary thing and not something that will last.


This is a call to all of you who claim to be followers of Christ: If you truly believe that we are to love God and to Love Others like Jesus tells us (Matthew 22:37-40), then remember that even the small things count. If someone holds the door for you, then give them a smile and say thanks. If someone lets you merge in traffic, wave to them. Continue to do those things for others, even if they don’t acknowledge your act of kindness.


It seems like such an insignificant thing, but really, aren’t we supposed to stand out from the world? Maybe doing these things that no one else will do will be the thing that someone notices and asks about, and opens the door for us to share about God’s love. Who knows? But, is there really any harm in trying?


No comments: