Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Tooth be Told... (groan!)

We had our first lost tooth in our house last night. In all honesty, we COULD have had that same first lost tooth about six days ago. However, our son had a few fears and misgivings about just pulling that sucker out. I totally understand, though, because while I don’t really remember that particular experience, I do recall that at younger ages, the fear of the unknown and possible pain scared me into inaction on more than once occasion.

We knew we had to do something yesterday when he came in from his after school care, and he could exhale and the tooth would freely flop back and forth on the gum. The root was exposed in the front and the back and I wasn’t really sure what was even holding the tooth in place. When I suggested that he simply grab ahold of it and pull it out, the idea was met with instant weeping and gnashing of the remaining teeth. (That one would flop out of the way, and could not gnash.)

I pulled the child into the bathroom, and we talked for a second. I explained that I understood that he was scared, and that I couldn’t promise that there would be no additional pain. I simply told him that I was afraid he would knock it out while he was eating and accidentally swallow it. I also suggested that it probably would not hurt, but even if it did a little bit, it was probably less painful than when the root would bounce against the already exposed gums without going back into the socket. I told him that I was his dad, and only wanted to help him, even though he was scared. He finally relented, but was still nervous and gave a shout when I put my fingers in his mouth to pull. He was still making noise about five seconds later when he realized I was done and had removed the tooth painlessly about four and a half seconds ago. Suddenly the tears turned to smiles, and we celebrated the new milestone in our family.

Isn’t it funny how something so little can cause us great stress and worry? I’m the same way with shots. I’ve had them, and I know intellectually that shots carry with them some discomfort, but nothing warranting the cold sweats and nervous shakes I get just before that needle is in my skin. In fact, it’s usually done before I have time to really work myself into a panic. Yes, I am a needle-phobe. I’m okay with that.

I choose to believe that while God does not enjoy our fear or pain, sometimes it’s that very pain that grows us and moves us closer to Him. That very fear that is being driven away (1 John 4), is the wall that is being removed that opens our hearts for God to work there. God did not take away that loved one to teach YOU a lesson, but through your grieving, God will certainly be with you and provide comfort. God did not cause the economy to go south just so you would experience unemployment in your family to teach YOU a lesson. What He will do is use different avenues to provide for you, and to let you know that He is still there with you. God did not make your spouse cheat on you to teach YOU a lesson. (See the pattern, here?) However, in your pain and heartbreak, God is working to pull you through the hard time, and mending you where you are broken.

In those times, if we lean on Him and allow Him to be our strength, we also hear some words that will shape us and change us. Hard experiences change our lives already--there’s no getting around that. Not all of the change has to be bad. In fact, if we draw on our faith in God, and follow His leading in our lives, we can emerge from our darkest days stronger and healthier than we were going into those days. No, we would not wish the hurt on anyone, but I’ve heard many people say that it was through that hurt that they could let God do what was best for them, and bring about the best possible end to a bad situation. That’s when they can truly look back and celebrate a new spiritual milestone in their life.

No comments: