Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Upping The Game

I admit that I’m a soccer dad. We usually don’t get as much attention as the “soccer moms,” but the truth is, we exist, too. Both of the twins have played soccer now for three seasons, which span fall of last year, spring of last year, and the current season going on right now. While that doesn’t sound like much, when you try to get home from work, dress the kids (why do soccer socks have to be so difficult?), and get them to practice on time, and then do very much the same thing for games on Saturday, it can be chaotic.

The last two weeks have been really cool games to attend. Not just because of the weather, but because as I’ve watched my two boys, It’s like something in their heads just finally clicked. All of the sudden, they don’t just look like kids running after a ball, they look like soccer players. They have started dribbling the ball with purpose, they are passing to their teammates, scoring goals, and they are helping to talk and communicate with the other players on the field, helping the team on the whole. If I had to put words to it, it’s like they’ve “upped their game” and have moved into a new understanding and application of the skills they’ve worked to learn.

Now, let me switch gears for a moment. I play guitar. While I’m not the greatest you’ll ever hear, or even worthy of throwing away the old strings from Joe Satriani’s guitar, I have played long enough to be confident in the abilities I do have. However, a few weeks ago, I was setting up for our usual Wednesday night session, and was playing my guitar to make sure it was set up correctly with no problems. All of the sudden, I started doing a few things I didn’t know I could do. While my guitar hadn’t changed, I was seeing the neck and strings in a whole new light.

I had something of a break-through that took all the skills I have learned and put them into practice on a different level. I guess I actually “upped my game” when it comes to playing. I’m still not claiming to be worthy to polish Mark Tremonti’s old guitar case, but I feel as though I can do a bit more now than I could even a few weeks ago. As a result, my confidence is up, and I’m excited about playing more!

When you live as a follower of Christ, there are many things you will learn. There are Bible stories to read, scriptures to memorize, worship songs to sing, and sermons for which you can take notes. As a result of these actions, you will continue to acquire “skills” of a growing Christian. Like my sons on the soccer field, and me on guitar, there will be different times when you experience break-throughs, and new clear understanding that will actually help you to “up your game,” and show you new ways to apply the knowledge and help you to better discern the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Unlike soccer and guitar, these things have eternal, lasting value. Not only will you be potentially stronger and more faithful, but your ability to share your faith with others will grow. Who knows how many more disciples you will help to make? (Matthew 28:19-20)

My sons may never be as skilled as Pele or David Beckham. I may never acquire the same skill on guitar as John Petrucci. None of us will ever be as perfect as Jesus Christ, but because we can abide in Him (John 15), we have potential to continue to “up our game” as long as we have breath. What’s holding you back from taking your life as a Believer to the next level?

No comments: