Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Thoughts on Tim Tebow

While I like to watch a good game, I am NOT a sports writer. So, don’t expect lots of good football details from me. However, I DO want to talk a bit about the AFC Wild Card game this past Sunday between the Steelers and the Broncos. Those that know me realize I’m not a huge fan of any team. I enjoy watching exciting games, and I like to pull for teams based on coaches and players that I like. I like what I know of Mike Tomlin. I would have been okay if the Steelers had won. However, I find myself really becoming a fan of Tim Tebow. So, as a result, I was pulling for the Broncos.

When it comes down to it, I want to see Drew Brees lead the Saints all the way. Having grown up in Louisiana, there’s just something about a home state team that pulls at my heart--especially since LSU couldn't win it for us. But I digress. In the meantime, I’m going to pull for Tebow’s team and watch with eager anticipation. (Actually, I’ll just check scores for the next game, since we’ll be on a retreat while they play.)

The thing that draws me towards Tebow is the very thing that makes many people cringe. He is a man of faith. He has made no bones about it, and even in his college days, you knew where he stood. Suddenly, he starts getting play time and takes over as the starting quarterback, and it seems like his outspoken and bold lifestyle regarding his beliefs are very controversial. I don’t remember hearing so much about it in his college years, and with a wife as a die-hard Tennessee fan, believe me, we paid attention to any controversy swirling about the sworn rivals-for-life Florida Gators. Sure, there was some talk of it, but nothing like we’re seeing now.

It seems to me that people had a willingness to look past it in college, but now that he’s in the NFL, It’s time to grow up, and understand that this “faith stuff” needs to stay under wraps. So, he has taken quite a bit of criticism and mocking, complete with the SNL Skit that takes easy shots at him. There are many who rip on his ability as a player and make claims that he isn’t any good and he has no business playing this game. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he get nominated for the Heisman trophy three times, winning it once? Didn’t his aforementioned college team win National Championships with Him? He may not be the greatest to play the game, but I think he’s established that he’s got something going for him.

No, I believe the scrutiny for his play is just a cover to the real problem people have, which is his outspoken faith. I believe they just don’t like it that someone who is as open with his beliefs actually appears to be genuine and honest, and is making a difference. There are those who really like to see Christians fail. I bet they can’t stand it that Tim won’t back off or even dignify the criticism with comment. A few weeks back, I heard a snippet of an interview where reporters were asking him about all the criticism, and his only comment was to reference one guy that swore that Tebow’s success was a fluke and if he won the sixth game in a row even HE’D go to church. Tebow’s comment was simply to ask if anyone knew if he followed through and actually did go.

You see, when Christians maintain their faith in the world, even in places not quite so public as the NFL, other people notice. The ones that don’t want to have any accountability for their actions or responsibility to act in a moral way take notice of these Christians, and begin to accuse them of being “intolerant” or “unaccepting” of other’s beliefs. The funny thing is, I’ve been accused of this myself, and all I did was to refuse to take part in an activity that I didn’t agree with. All I said was “no thank you,” and I was accused of being judgmental and mean. Seems to me that the role was actually reversed. But, our job is to stand our ground. Scripture says to “...take our stand...and after [we] have done everything, to stand…” (From Ephesians 6:10-18) Even when we are mocked, criticized, accused, judged, dismissed, betrayed, slandered, or any other type of persecution, we need to maintain our faith, and remain true to the standards we claim to uphold. We need to know God’s Word, and put it into practice each day. When we make that kind of stand, people will notice, and some will be drawn in and become followers themselves.

I say let’s pray for Tim Tebow and other Christians in the NFL. They have a great opportunity to reach many fans with their message. While not all of them are as outspoken, they all have opportunities, and who are we to say that our prayers aren’t the ones covering them in their moments to share Christ. Tim Tebow may not be a New Orleans Saint, but I have no doubt that he’s made an impact on people, making him a saint in their eyes.

UPDATE: My sister shot me THIS LINK, and I think it's a pretty good article, only affirming the good stuff we've learned about Tim. (Can you see the link?)


1 comment:

Jessica in Houston said...

Great! Couldn't agree more! Go Saints! GB2