Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What BUGGIES Me The Most

I admit it. I messed up. I’m not ashamed to say it, though I’m sorry it happened. Here’s the story: I was trying to run a quick “after-Christmas” return, and as I tried to pull into the parking lot at the store, I about smashed into one of those mini-sized shopping carts. It was smack in the middle of the parking space, and I couldn’t see it until I had almost cleared the large truck parked next to that space. I had to hit reverse and find a new spot. I did actually move that buggy and took it in the store with me so that I didn’t just leave the problem for someone else.

Later on, as I was driving with my wife as we left Target (it’s amazing what being away for a week will leave you needing at the house), I saw another buggy just shoved to the side of a curb, not really put away, and not really “in the way,” but rather lazily left behind, none the less. Feeling very righteous in my frustration, especially since I had put away the earlier buggy, I began a rant about this being just a symptom of everything wrong with our society, that selfish laziness causes so many issues that just overflow into one another. Somewhere in between the society part and the issues part, I began to have this nagging feeling.

That’s when it hit me...I AM that guy! See, the part of the story that I conveniently left out was the part where I was in Target, and decided against one of the purchases in the cart. It pains me to admit it, but instead of taking the item back to the appropriate place in the store, or even manning up and just telling the cashier I no longer wanted it, I just found an empty spot on a shelf and put it down. Now, here in the car, as I was busy talking about the evils of selfishness, I was convicted of my own act! My face was the same color as the Target.

“Oh that’s really not so bad,” some might be saying. Well, compared to other evils in the world, of course, it looks quite simple. It’s not like I robbed the place, or sprayed pepper spray in anyone’s face for an Xbox 360. BUT, what we would be guilty of in that case is comparing to the world, by looking at the outward appearance of things.

However, we are reminded that it’s not on the outside that matters, but what’s on the inside. “...The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7) In my heart, I gave in to the temptation to put myself first instead of thinking of the workers that would have to take that item to the proper place on the shelves.

It’s very easy to look at what’s going on in the world, and justify what we do by comparison. It’s just a little disrespect, it’s not like I’m killing innocent people! I just took a 5-dollar bill from my dad, I didn’t steal a car. It’s only my mom’s prescription pain killer, what’s the big deal when people shoot up all the time?

Jesus tells us clearly that what is in our heart comes out in our lives. “...the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.” (Matthew 15:18-19) Sure, Jesus says “out of the mouth,” but I believe firmly that the implication can safely be made that it also should be demonstrated in our lives. Besides, Jesus also says to “...Let our light so shine before men…,” which supports that as well.

The “small” acts of disrespect, “borrowing” money from parents, or taking a pill meant for someone else are symptoms of a heart that is not fully committed to God. When we rebel against any of God’s standards, no matter how many steps across that line we actually take, it shows that in our hearts, we are acting for ourselves, and not for God.

The truth is, we are all guilty of these “little” things from time to time. Scripture tells us that we have all “Fallen short of the Glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) That’s why we need a Savior so badly, because even in our best intentions, and even though we may look great on the outside compared to the world, we will never measure up to perfection. Jesus’ sacrifice and resurrection give us hope that these sins don’t have to keep us from God. The gap we leave as we fall short is closed with the bridge of Jesus’ love. Instead of comparing our mistakes to the shortcomings of the world (which, if I may be so graphic, is like comparing dog poo to cow poo. Sure, one’s a larger mess than the other, but they are both nasty and stink!), let’s look at our hearts and examine from where the shortcomings originate. Let’s pray that God will lead us even in the small things to live for Him, and to demonstrate His love to the world around us. Then maybe we can all remember the buggies, AND return items to the proper place on the shelves.

No comments: